You are here:



Information for Outgoing Students

Are you interested in spending a semester or an academic year on another campus in the United States, Canada, Guam, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands? Would you like to access new courses or programs of study? Are you searching for graduate schools or future employment outside of Utah? Do you want to study in a new environment, expand your horizons, or get outside of your comfort zone? Explore your exchange options with NSE at the University of Utah!

On this site, you'll find information to help you determine if an exchange opportunity through NSE would be a good fit for your academic and personal goals. If you have any questions as you review the information on this page, please contact the NSE Office at the U!

publicExplore Your Options

Whether you're interested in taking unique courses we don't have here at the U, testing out a potential grad school, pursuing internship opportunities, or just exploring a different part of the country or continent, NSE has an option for you.

Explore our NSE partner colleges and universities that will provide learning opportunities to supplement and complement those you've had here at the U. Identify campuses that will stimulate personal growth and development and that will help you reach your educational goals. Take advantage of the educational, geographical, and cultural diversity that our partners have to offer. Get a quick introduction to any of the over 150 options available to outgoing students on the map below or filter the campuses by major, metro population, enrollment, and more at NSE Headquarters.

playlist_add_checkVerify Eligibility

Set yourself up for success by checking to see if you meet the following minimum requirements.

  • You have (or will have) completed at least 24 credit hours at the U prior to your exchange
  • You are a full-time student (12 credit hours a semester)
  • You have and will maintain at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA
  • You are in good academic standing at the U
  • You will have no incomplete grades from previous semesters prior to your exchange
  • You will have no current or pending probationary status due to academic dishonesty, misconduct, or a violation of codes of student conduct prior to your exchange
  • You will have no outstanding financial obligations to the U prior to your exchange
  • You will not be on probation, parole, or have any pending legal judgments against you prior to your exchange
NOTE: Some campuses may set additional requirements (such as a higher minimum GPA) for exchange participation. Be sure to check the specific eligibility requirements for the college or university you would like to attend on their NSE Member Campus profile.

spellcheckCredit & Grades

Any courses you take and complete while on exchange can go towards your major, minor, or general education requirements. Complete your generals or supplement your degree while away!

Before your exchange, you will identify the courses you hope to take while at your host campus and review your anticipated course load with your academic advisor(s). You will be required to complete an Advising Agreement to guide the discussion with your academic advisor(s) and ensure all of your credits will transfer from your exchange campus back to the U. The GPA earned for the courses taken while on exchange is not computed into your University of Utah GPA.

NOTE: Failure to secure a signed Advising Agreement prior to exchange may prevent the courses you take from being properly applied to your transcript upon return and, as a result, may even delay your graduation. A signed Advising Agreement is absolutely essential to ensuring you will recieve credit for the courses you take on exchange.

attach_moneyConsider the Cost

NSE uses two different payment plans to facilitate exchanges across the consortium: pay normal tuition and fees directly to the U or pay resident tuition at whatever campus you'll exchange to.

Plan A: Pay Your Host Campus

You will pay the resident tuition and mandatory fees to your host campus. You will pay the resident in-state/in-province tuition rate regardless of your residency status at the University of Utah.

If you plan on requesting federal financial aid during your exchange, you will seek that aid from your host campus.

Some scholarships may be applied to your Plan A exchange. Contact the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid for more information.

Plan B: Pay the University of Utah

You pay normal tuition and mandatory fees to the University of Utah. If you currently pay non-resident tuition, you should expect to continue to do so while on exchange.

If you plan on requesting federal financial aid during your exchange, you will seek that aid from the University of Utah.

Some scholarships may be applied to your Plan B exchange. View the list of scholarships approved by the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid for your NSE experience.

Our college and university partners may utilize payment Plan A, payment Plan B, or both Plan A and Plan B. If the campus you would like to attend on exchange offers both payment options, consider which payment plan might best meet your financial needs in conjunction with your anticipated financial aid and which plan will lead to a higher likelihood of being accepted on exchange. If the campus you wish to attend only offers one payment plan, this is the only plan you may use.

You are encouraged to carefully review all possible expenses as well as your own personal and/or family resources for exchange. Please consider those additional costs when calculating the cost of your exchange.  

Course Fees

Whether using Plan A or Plan B, you are expected to pay fees which are assessed as a condition of enrollment in courses (such as laboratory fees, art and photography supplies, course surcharges, field studies, student teaching, internship, service learning) to your host campus.

Room & Meals

Whether you exchange on Plan A or Plan B, if you live in on-campus housing, you will pay room and meals directly to your host campus. If you live off-campus, you may incur additional costs for housing, transportation, and food.


Whether using Plan A or Plan B, you are expected to pay for transportation to and from your host campus, personal expenses, and travel opportunities while on exchange. Transportation cost depends on the institution's access to major transit and distance from Salt Lake City.

Visit the NSE area page for the campuses you are interested in attending. In the "Fast Facts" column on the left side of the page under the "Tuition & Payments" subheading, estimated tuition, fees, room, and meal costs are available. Those costs are subject to change and depend on the host campus coordinator to keep them updated.

Using the information you've collected, devise a Plan to Pay using a simple worksheet. Consider tuition, housing & meals, travel, and personal expenses while completing this form.

assignment_turned_inApply for Exchange

After finding your dream campus, making sure you meet all requirements, and developing a plan to finance your exchange, you are ready to apply! Keep an eye out for upcoming deadlines.

A completed application consists of six parts and more information on each of those parts can be found below. More information about each of these six parts can be found on our Application Checklist page.

Step 1: Meet With Your Coordinator

The best way to determine if NSE is right for you is to meet with your NSE Coordinator.  We can answer questions about campuses, programs, and payment methods.  

Schedule Your Meeting

Step 2: Cover Letter

In this letter of intent, we ask you to describe yourself and your interest in exchange. Communicate how your educational and personal goals can be accomplished at the campus(es) you've selected. Review your letter with your academic advisor. They may also have writing tips!

Cover Letter Tips

Step 3: Transcript

Supply us with an unofficial transcript that includes grades from your most previously completed semester. Verify that there are no missing or incomplete grades and your GPA meets your preferred host institution's minimum requirement.

How to View Unofficial Transcript

Step 4: Recommendation

Identify a faculty/staff member or an academic advisor who can write a recommendation letter on your behalf. Make sure the person you've asked to serve as a reference can speak to your ability to succeed in an exchange experience like NSE and you give them enough notice to submit a letter on time.

How to Ask for a Recommendation

Step 5: Application

This online application will request biographical/academic information, eligibility information, and ask you to list the school (or schools) where you would like to study on exchange. After submitting an application, you will be required to meet with an NSE Coordinator at the U.

Begin an Application

Step 6: Outgoing Fee

This $250.00 outgoing application fee is used to cover our program and placement costs. We will not submit a request for placement until this fee has been paid. No refund will be given whether or not you are placed, accept or decline your placement, withdraw, or become ineligible.

Pay Application Fee

Deadline for Priority Placement:

February 20th

Priority placement is for both Fall and Spring semesters of the upcoming academic year. Additional placements can be made after this deadline, but most campuses have limited or restricted availability.   

NOTE: If you are hoping to exchange to a French- or Spanish-speaking campus OR if English is not your first language, you will also need to complete a Language Proficiency Report after submitting your online application and before your exchange.

If you have any questions as you are exploring your exchange options, verifying your eligibility, calculating the cost of exchange, or completing an application, please contact us!

Last Updated: 6/13/18